Pages

Thursday 24 March 2011

A review for 7 Kinds of Ordinary Catastrophes by Amber Kizer

Posted by Donna
Expected Published Date: April 5th, 2011
Read Date: March 24th, 2011
The Blurb: Okay, so here's the deal: there are books about volcanoes erupting and meteorites hitting Earth and plane crashes where the survivors have to eat people—those are extraordinary crises. That's not what this book is about. I'm more the ordinary catastrophe type. This second semester of my sophomore year, there are basically 7 KINDS OF ORDINARY CATASTROPHES: high school, boys, heartbreak, family, job, friends, and the future. Well, I guess everyone's life is full of ordinary catastrophes. These are mine. Hi, I'm Gert Garibaldi. Welcome to my crazy life.


The Review:  7 Kinds of Ordinary Catastrophes is written by author Amber Kizer. I've been a massive fan of Amber's work since I read Meridian and 7 Kinds did not disappoint. This story follows Gert, a sixteen year old girl who narrates her day to day problems of her life and.... boy, does she have a few problems. 

To be honest before I started this book, I hadn't even heard of it. I don't know why I've never heard of it because its a MUST read for the summer of 2011. If your looking for something hilarious, quirky & hard to put down....then this is the book for you! Although this isn't usually my genre of books I would read, I still enjoyed it and found myself laughing out loud with some of Gert's problems. The author writes the story that makes you think back to your days of a being a sixteen year old. Although, I haven't experienced some of the problems that Gert does, I still found them extremely funny. 

As much as there are funny sides to Gert's story, there are also some serious ones that bring you right back to the story and you really do feel for her situation. I found Gert to be such as fun character, you can't help but love. 
The secondary characters were great too and I loved they sense of humour of them. I also liked how there was several parts dedicated to Gert's rants. I couldn't control myself laughing at the some of them. 

Overall, a fun read. One I really enjoyed. I would totally recommend this for a summer read. Thank you Amber Kizer for giving me the opportunity to review your work.
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis