Pages

Saturday 12 March 2011

A review for Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Posted by Donna

Published Date: January 11th, 2011 
Read Date: March 12th, 2011
The Blurb: Amy has left the life she loves for a world 300 years away. Trapped in space and frozen in time, Amy is bound for a new planet. But fifty years before she’s due to arrive, she is violently woken, the victim of an attempted murder. Now Amy's lost on board and nothing makes sense - she's never felt so alone.Yet someone is waiting for her. He wants to protect her; and more if she’ll let him. But who can she trust amidst the secrets and lies? A killer is out there – and Amy has nowhere to hide . . .


The Review: This is the first book from author Beth Revis in her new Sci-fi series Across the Universe. 

The story follows two main characters. First, we meet Amy who joins her parents on a spaceship to be frozen for the next 300 years, so when they awake, they will help build a new world on a new planet. Then there's Elder, who was born aboard the spaceship and is being trained to become the next leader. Amy's & Elders lives become intertwined when someone on the ship releases Amy early from her frozen bed, and now they must work together to find out who was trying to kill her and the other frozen people aboard.

I'll be quiet honest when I say I don't usually read these type of books, but a number of things attracted my attention with this one. The book cover is so eye catching and beautiful, the blurb really grabbed my attention and then there is everyone else's reviews. In the end I picked this book up straight away and even though I did like the story, it wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

I felt the first 20% of the book let the story down because, Amy is just frozen and dreaming in her frozen bed and Elder's parts, I found quiet boring. It wasn't until Amy was woken up that the story started to get slightly interesting. After that, I did find myself enjoying the story and I was eager to find out what happens.

A highlight of the book for me was, how much I enjoyed all the characters once we got past that first 20%. I especially liked Harley and its such as shame how things ended with him. I enjoyed how Amy's & Elder's relationship slowly built up but, I do wish there had been a little more romance in the book than there was. I also found myself trying to work out who the murderer was and was delighted to find that I had guessed right in the end.

The end of the story does give us readers a little hope to Amy's and Elders relationship and I can't wait to see how that plays out.

Overall, I did enjoy this story and I will continue to read the rest of the series once they have been released.

7 comments:

Bex said...

Great review, Donna! It seems really interesting. Tried the sample the other day and I'm real curious to see how it is.

Book Passion for Life said...

I think I'm going to give this a go as well. I'll probably buy. Its not normally one I would pick up but I adore the cover and blurb really gets you interested.

Book Passion for Life said...

Bex, the first chapter is so good. But then it just went a little flat but it does get better. I am actually looking forward to the next one - I just hope there's a little more romance. Donna

Bex said...

In that case I hope it's more romance in the next one as well. I do love my romance! Lol. I'm going to start it now as soon as I have time. (Preferably tonight!) Hopefully I'll still enjoy it. :)

Lilly said...

I really want to read this one and that cover is gorgeous!

Book Passion for Life said...

Hey Lily, Thanks for stopping by. I think the cover is gorgeous too :) I had to do a double take the first time I seen it, to make sure what I was seeing was right. Lol - Donna

Alyssa_Susanna said...

This book is one of favorites of all time. The sequel, A Million Suns, is amazing, maybe even better than Across the Universe. I love the world that Ms. Revis has created. She has come up with an original idea for young adult literature, especially in today's vampire/werewolf world. A Million Suns did not suffer from the sophomore slump that most second book have. I love thie series, and can't wait for Shades of Earth. And whatever Ms. Revis is writing right now (something with bows and arrows and ravens... interesting!).Thanks for the review!


Alyssa Susanna

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis