Pages

Friday 18 March 2011

A review for Forgive my Fins (Fins #1) by Tera Lynn Childs

Posted by Donna
Published Date: June 1st, 2010
Finished Date: March 17th, 2011


The Blurb from Goodreads: Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it’s not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you’re a normal teenage girl, but when you’re half human, half mermaid like Lily, there’s no such thing as a simple crush.


The Review: If you are looking for something new, fresh and beautifully written to read then this is the book for you. Forgive My Fins is the first book in the new Fins series by author Tera Lynn Childs and I have to say - it was fantastic! 

Lily is a princess mermaid, who has been living on land for the past 3 years. She moved in with her aunt after discovering that her mother was human and wanted to see the human world before becoming the next ruler of Thalassinia. While attending Seaview High School, Lily has fallen in love with a boy called Brody but the only problem is, she can't seem to find a way to tell Brody how she feels. When Quince, Lily's annoying neighbour, who always picks on her, offers to help her catch the guy of her dreams, she reluctantly agrees. However, on the night of the school dance, while waiting for Brody to show up, Lily mistakenly kisses Quince and ends up forming a magical bond that is caused by Lily's mermaid destiny. While doing everything in her power to break the bond, Lily believes being bound to Quince is the worst thing possible…….or is it? 

This was my first book by Tera and I was not left disappointed. I have read a few mermaid stories over the past year but, this is the only one I have loved. Tera did a fantastic job with it as it was beautifully written, very funny, quirky and I loved how I could imagine myself in Thalassinia. The world Tera has created has left me wanting more and oh my! The fish slang….I’ve never laughed out loud like that before in a story. It’s so cute and it truly makes this book a joy to read about.

I really enjoyed the story line and felt it has a few good twists to the story. The characters especially Lily were a massive highlight for me. Lily is totally loveable but with her only being seventeen she is quiet naive about her feelings toward Brody and Quince and it sometimes clouds her judgement. She doesn’t see Brody for who he really is, but most importantly she doesn’t see Quince. I mean come on, how can she miss him? He’s gorgeous! Quince is a classic guy, who picks on the girl he loves type but once you get to know him, you know it’s just his way of getting closer to Lily and I loved both of them. There such a cute couple.

The story was tied up nicely but honestly leaves readers wanting more. I'm so glad there weren’t any major cliff-hangers at the end but yes, the author has left the story open with a little preview of what the next story will be about. I love that the Lily & Quince's story was rounded up so nicely and I can’t wait to see what in store for them next.

Overall, this was a fantastic start to a unique series. Forgive My Fins is definitely one of my favourite reads
for 2011. Try it…I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.
______________________________________________________________

Posted by Jess
Published Date: June 1st, 2010
Finished Date: June 23rd, 2011

The Blurb from Goodreads: Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it’s not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you’re a normal teenage girl, but when you’re half human, half mermaid like Lily, there’s no such thing as a simple crush.



The Review: Awe this was a good read. Its was fun, fresh and new. Its the first mermaid story that I've read and it had me from page one. I loved how Quince managed to take everything in his stride regarding Lily's 'fishy' (pun intended), situation. Lily is so caught up in wanting Brody Bennett the boy of her dreams, that she doesn't see what's right under her nose.

Tera Lynn Childs, has done a fantastic job in bringing the story together, the plot was well thought out and came together neatly. All the characters are loveable, with the exception of Brody who's a total jerk and I didn't trust him from the start. 

Quince, is divine. Not only is he a complete hunk, but he loves Lily for who-what-she is and that's what made their relationship such a great thing to read. I found myself getting a little annoyed with Lily in the first half of the book, and the way she was about her 'love' for Brody. She just gave off this vibe of 'school girl crush' but in the end she realises what a complete arse Brody is, and finds herself FINALLY admitting who she's in love with really. 

Overall, if you're looking for a happy, funny, quick read.  Then I recommend you pick up Forgive my Fins. You won't be disappointed. I will be reading the next installment, as that epilogue left me in a spin...nice little cliffy there.

5 comments:

Book Passion for Life said...

Its in my Amazon basket-ready to be purchased. When I have money!
Jess

Natalie Frampton said...

ooo I'm going to have to check this one out

x

Diana said...

great review! so glad to see you enjoy it :) I read it a while back and loved it as well!

Diana
ps. I was literally cracking up at the sea-lingo... sea witch :)haaa! classic!

Book Passion for Life said...

Hi Diana, Thanks for stopping by. I really did enjoy it, can't wait for the next one.
Ooh I loved the fish slang, especially Blowfish & Carp! lol I hope to read more stuff like that, Lol. Donna

Alyssa_Susanna said...

Hmmm, I have not read this series by Tera Lynn Childs. I read Sweet Venom a really long time ago, and it was okay. I'm not sure that I like Tera's writing style. I'm also not so sure if I want to read another mermaid book...? I mean, four stars in really good, and the first book always is pretty good. I love the name Lily. It's a pretty name. Names make a difference for me lol. I definitely do NOT like any of the three covers. They're...creepy. To say the least. But that's okay. I'll add it to the list. Thanks for the review!!!!
Alyssa Susanna

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis