Pages

Thursday 23 June 2011

A review for The Fallen Star (Fallen Star #1) by Jessica Sorensen

Posted by Donna
Published Date: April 7th, 2011
Finished Date: June 23rd, 2011
Source: From author to review
Format: Kindle
Pages: 449

The blurb from Goodreads: For eighteen year-old Gemma, life has never been normal. Up until recently, she has been incapable of feeling emotion. And when she's around Alex, the gorgeous new guy at school, she can feel electricity that makes her skin buzz. Not to mention the monsters that haunt her nightmares have crossed over into real-life. But with Alex seeming to hate her and secrets popping up everywhere, Gemma's life is turning into a chaotic mess. Things that shouldn't be real suddenly seem to exist. And as her world falls apart, figuring out the secrets of her past becomes a matter of life and death.

The Review: Firstly I’m going to say “Buy this book and read it.” My oh my…..I honestly don’t even know how to begin reviewing this book and try and give it the justice it deserves…..but I’ll try.

This story follows Gemma, an eighteen year old girl who hasn’t been able to feel any emotions what so ever until recently. Only within the last few months have the emotions slowly been working their way through Gemma’s body, and as she experiences each one she starts to feel a little bit more human. When new boy Alex starts school, Gemma’s emotions soon start to intensify because every time she is near him she feels electricity sparking between them. Soon they start to get to know one another but Gemma realises that Alex is hiding secrets, secrets that somehow involve her, leaving her wondering if he’s a friend or foe? This then leads her into a deadly situation.

Isn’t the book cover of this book beautiful? It’s what initially attracted me to the book but once I read the blurb, I was more than excited to read it. The blurb on Goodreads doesn’t really give any indication as to what this story is actually about, so I kind of started the book a little blindfolded, but wow, I didn’t realise that the title of this book says it’s all.
I was completely amazed by how Jessica Sorensen has created this story; she has not stuck to an original love story or original vampire’s, werewolf’s story but created a topic I never imagined reading about. Not only was this story interesting but it was captivating, intriguing, and mysterious, a lot of creativity has gone into it and I loved every minute of it. It’s safe to say I’m wondering why this book hasn’t been picked up by a publishing company.

Our main character Gemma was such a loveable character and I loved feeling the new emotions that she experiences. It was also great to see how her character adapts with everything crazy happening to her, when she cried I cried and when she was happy, I was happy with her. Not only is she a strong character but a character that I felt truly connected with and I pray there is a happy ending for her.

Now Alex, where to start with him? Let’s say….wow! He is one hot guy but god did I have a love hate relationship with him. One minute he’s mean and the next he’s nice, it was hard to keep up with him sometimes but I honestly think his true feelings are genuine. He’s obviously battling between what’ he believes is right and wrong, so I can understand why he is the way he is but I’m dying to find out what happens between him and Gemma. Their romance is minimal during this book but you do see bits that manage to keep you interested enough.

The story itself was completely refreshing and unique. We get introduced to foreseers, vampires and witches with a slightly new take. I found I was more interested in the foreseers, especially when Gemma is introduced to their world and I can’t wait to read more about it.

Overall, this is a fantastic debut novel. Jessica has done a great job and I’m dying to get my hands on the next book. I’m so glad I only have to wait until September for the next instalment because talk about a cliff-hanger! Yeah, it’s a big one! Read it guys! You’ll love it.

Thank you to Jessica Sorensen for giving me the opportunity to review your work.

5 comments:

Cait said...

wow great review-this book sounds pretty cool! I'll be adding it to my wishlist, thanks for sharing =]

The Cait Files

Nic @ Irresistible Reads said...

This does sound awesome. Will have to give it a read now. Great review :)

Books for Company said...

l have to admit, this cover totally grabbed me when l first seen it but this sounds like the story lives up to the cover, one l should definitely read!

Ynysawdre Elderly Residents Association said...

Can you stop adding to my wishlist and kindle envy please :D :D

Maleena Smith said...

This book...Wow, just wow. It is amazing, I couldn't stop reading. And, I was happy it was more then 300 pages- books that short I read within 2 hours. But I actually had to spend some time on it. Way better for me, so I don't have to buy books every few hours. I highly suggest it, older and younger audiences- me, being twelve, love it. A mix of fantasy and fiction, it is so worth reading.

Highly recommended House Cleaning San Antonio visit site

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis