Pages

Saturday 11 June 2011

A review for The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Posted by Donna
Published Date: September 14th, 2008
Finished Date: June 11th, 2011
Source: RAK from Bella at Cheezy Feet Books
Format: Paperback
Pages: 384 Pages

The Blurb from Goodreads: In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

The Review: Wow! Why have I not started this series before now? Why? Well, I’ll tell you why…..it’s because I’m stupid! Lol. All I’ve had over the past 6 months is people recommending this series to me and I’ve put it for so long because I honestly thought I wouldn’t like it. Well, I was wrong! I don’t even think wrong covers it. I ended up loving this book and I think it’s one of my favourite read of 2011 so far.

The story follows Katniss Everdeen, a sixteen year old girl living in North America set in the future. Katniss lives in a hard world, one that is divided by districts, rich and poor. Twelve districts in total are run by the Capital and to keep them in line they created a yearly event in which 2 members from each districts will battle it out to the death, for sport on live TV.  When Katniss’s sister Prim is picked as a tribute, Katniss willingly takes her place in the games. She is teamed up with Peeta, the other member from District 12 and together they must become the last ones standing.

This is something completely new for me. This type of genre is 100% out of the norm but hey, with so many people recommending it, I had to see what all the fuss was about. And let me just say….amazing. Not only did this book keep me gripped to the edge of my seat but I was also quiet scared to continue reading. I’ve never been so frightened in my life not knowing what would happen next to the characters, not knowing how someone would die or who would die next and if our main characters survive the horrid games. Honestly, the idea of the book to start with was a little sickening but Suzanne Collins managed to capture the story and writes the deaths not to gruesome.  Not only does she write well but she managed to create a world that I couldn’t dream of living in, the idea of it scares the hell out of me but she also makes it completely imaginable.

The characters were well developed and strong. I’m so glad we had such a strong female heroine like Katniss. Katniss is probably the strongest character I’ve read about in a long time, she doesn’t sit around and cry, she determined, strong willed and dedicated to the job at hand even though she hates the thought of killing someone else…she knows she has no choice because in this world, its kill or be killed. Peeta is another great character. I can’t help feel a little bad for him because god does he take a beating during the games but I’m glad Katniss was there to nurse him back to health. Even though this book doesn’t centre around their romance, it is still there skimming the surface and I’m intrigued to find out what happens next. Oh and let’s not forget Prim, Cinna, Haymitch and Gale…..I do hope we get to see more them in the next book.

Overall, I’m already hooked into this series and I have another two books to go. So far I love it, I love the world Suzanne Collins has created and I can’t wait to read more.

A special Thank You to Bella who brought this book for me as a gift! 

10 comments:

Jen at Red Hot Books said...

This really was an exceptional book. However, I wish I would had stopped with the first one. I was very unhappy with the way things progressed, especially in Mockingjay. I look forward to hearing what you think.

Jen at Red Hot Books

Unknown said...

This is one of my favorite books. I dragged my feet on reading it and then it was like the best.

Great review.

Elodie said...

I love this series =) !! The first is my favorite book of the series .. Team Peeta !!!

Braiden said...

Wow did they change the Aus/UK cover? I like that one you have here heaps better!

I loved the third Mockingjay so looking forward to your views on the three of them :)

Book Passion for Life said...

I'm so Team Peeta! Lol. Yes Braiden, they did change the UK covers, they are so much better :)
Donna

Bella said...

I think that Suzanne Collins's writing is amazing, to be able to write something as gruesome and horrific as The Hunger Games and still make it believable, even though it's horrible and I can't even dream it actually happening... :) Great review, can't wait to see what you think the other two! :D

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel - I put off reading it for so long because it sounded gruesome and not something I would enjoy - I mostly read stuff like Meg Cabot at the time - who I still love - but I'm so glad I did because it's an exceptional book and has opened up a whole new genre/world of YA since!

I enjoyed books 2 and 3 as well - book 3 was difficult to come to terms with just because of where she took the story - it split a lot of fans - but I think it has a very powerful message all the same.

Happy Reading!

Sally@Always Lost in Stories said...

This is one of my favourite ever series, but you're right, when you read the blurb at first you automatically think no. But everyone should read this book! Can't wait for the film to come out now!

TG said...

Oh, it's fun to see a newbie's reaction to The Hunger Games! Sigh...I remember when that was me. Glad you love the series; I think it's virtually impossible not to.

I look forward to your reactions to Catching Fire and Mockingjay. And seeing whether you become Team Peeta or Team Gale :-P

Brent Morris said...

good review

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis