Pages

Monday 13 February 2012

A Review for Kiss of Death (Morganville Vampires #8) by Rachel Caine

Posted by Jess
Published Date: May 3rd, 2010
Finished Date: February 10th, 2012
Publishers: Allison and Busby
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 348

<
The Blurb from Goodreads: Claire Danvers has a few things on her mind. First of all there is the laundry, which is now an unfortunate shade of pink. Then there is her boyfriend, Shane, who is never too far from her thoughts. Finally there is her best friend Eve’s relationship problems. As if life as a student wasn’t complicated enough, Claire just happens to be studying in Morganville. A town run by vampires. Trouble seems to follow Claire and her friends like a shadow and tonight is no exception to the rule. They must find the most difficult documents for a vampire to acquire; people passes that will allow ‘bad ass’ Morley and his friends to leave Morganville. But it’s proving incredibly difficult, and with the odds seemingly stacked against them, the biggest question of all is…Will they survive?

The Review: “Things that Shane doesn't want on his grave: (1.) I thought it wasn't loaded. (2.) Hand me a match so I can check the gas tank. (3.) Killed over Ice Cream”


Heh. I have two words....ROAD. TRIP! Heh.
<
I actually LOVED this one, more than I loved Fade Out. Why you ask? Because this one is all set OUTSIDE of Morganville. Yup. The four end up on a road trip. They head for Dallas so that Michael can go to a recording studio and sing his cute little vampire heart out. Oliver in tow. They don't get there without a hitch. Oh no, that would be too easy...and of course it's the four of them including Oliver. From Morganville. It wouldn't be right if it all went smoothly would it? Nope. Oliver takes them on a little detour to a city called Durram. And all hell breaks loose! I'll say no more, you'll just have to read and find out, but there's lots of fighting, cars burning, sick vampires, Morley and his dudes.
<
Anyway, even with the slow start this book got really interesting as soon as they were all in the car and heading for Dallas (with the permission of Amelie...obviously). I'm not even sure how Rachel Caine does it, she just keeps knocking the books out of the park, making them seem like fillers but then turning them into all this excitement and awesomeness that you just can't get enough! And once I got going, I couldn't stop. 
<
I don't think I'm ever going to get tired of this series. Although I missed Myrnin and his antics in this one, it was really nice to be able to read something that wasn't taking place inside of Morganville. We meet a few new characters who I loved, except for the bullies in the dinner/truck stop. Oliver has since grown on me, and he's not becoming one of my favourite characters, and to be honest I prefer him to Amelie, although Oliver is a complete cynic and doesn't think highly of humans he does come through for Claire and the others when the time is needed. 
<
Yay for Claire growing up a lot more. She even has a crossbow! How cool is that? It was good to see Claire take charge of some of the situations and it was a nice change to listen to her rather than hear Eve moan and whimper...she did a bit of that, and it got annoying. Shane and Michael and their heroics...nom! The series never disappoints and neither do the books as individuals. Caine implements everything in them...love, humor, action, hate, jealousy, deceit. EVERYTHING!
<
As I said, I don't think I'm going to get sick of this series. Ever. And I love it, and I want more. This one keeps you turning, and turning. If you haven't already picked up this series, then you really should! 

3 comments:

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

Another great review! It's hard to get sick of this series, right? :D I also really liked this because of the change of setting. It was nice to shake things up a bit. :)

Arianne said...

I freakin love this series :D Shane is awesome :) They're all so funny, really.

Anonymous said...

hey you have been book tagged!
Check it out here!

http://books-alltheway.blogspot.com/2012/02/book-tag.html

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis