Pages

Tuesday 29 May 2012

Dusty Reads (#18)


Dusty Reads is a weekly meme, hosted by Xpresso Reads featuring a book that has been sitting unread on our shelves for some time. To participate and more information, click here.

Jess's Dusty Read
Article 5 (Article 5, #1)
by Kristen Simmons



New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.

The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.

There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.

Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren't always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it's hard for her to forget that people weren't always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It's hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.

Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.

That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings—the only boy Ember has ever loved.


Jess's thoughts: I bought this one a couple of months ago. I've picked it up ready to read but then changed my mind. It is Dystopian and I love Dystopian, but you do need to be in the mood for it. Donna has read it, and she absolutely loved it! I hope to pick it up very soon.


Firespell (Dark Elite, #1) Donna's Dusty Read

Firespell (Dark Elite #1) 
by Chloe Neill 


New Girl.
New School.
Old Evil.
<
Lily’s parents have sent her to a fancy boarding school in Chicago filled with the ultra-rich. If that wasn’t bad enough, she’s hearing and seeing bizarre things on St. Sophie’s creepy campus. Her roommate, Scout, keeps her sane, but keeps disappearing at night. When one day Lily finds Scout running from real-life monsters, she learns the hard way that Scout is involved in a splinter group of rebel teens.
<
They protect Chicago from demons, vamps, and dark magic users. It’s too bad Lily doesn’t have powers of her own to help. At least, none that she’s discovered yet...
<
Donna's thoughts:  I've had this on my shelf for about 2 years now and still haven't read it. I've heard good things about it, so hopefully soon! 

So that's our Dusty Read's for this week! Don't forget to leave us your thoughts below. 
Happy Reading!

5 comments:

Jasprit @ The Readers Den said...

Jess you must read Article 5 asap! I'm not a huge dystopian fan, but Donna lent me her copy and I absolutely loved it! I hope you both enjoy your books! :)

Dani (Pen to Paper) said...

I have Article 5 to read, but I've only had it for a couple of weeks, so it's not quite dusty for me yet! 

I haven't read any Chloe Neill before... I keep meaning to, but never get around to it! 

Dani xx

Emily Blake said...

I really need to read Article 5 as well. It looks really good!

Carly Chambers said...

Oh, great choices girls. These are both on me huge TBR pile :)

Hanna Whitehead said...

I was desperate to read Article 5 when I first heard about it months ago, but then I forgot about it somehow.  I've heard nothing but good things about it though, so maybe I'll have a look during my next book buying spree :)

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis