Pages

Thursday 10 May 2012

A Review for The Hunt (The Hunt #1) by Andrew Fukuda

The HuntPosted by Donna
Release Date: May 10, 2012
Finished Date: May 4th, 2012
Publishers: Simon & Schuster 
Source: For Review
Format: Paperback 
Pages: 304
Buy : Amazon UK / Amazon US / The Book Depo

Don’t Sweat.  Don’t Laugh.  Don’t draw attention to yourself.  And most of all, whatever you do, do not fall in love with one of them. 

Gene is different from everyone else around him.  He can’t run with lightning speed, sunlight doesn’t hurt him and he doesn’t have an unquenchable lust for blood.  Gene is a human, and he knows the rules.  Keep the truth a secret.  It’s the only way to stay alive in a world of night—a world where humans are considered a delicacy and hunted for their blood.

When he’s chosen for a once in a lifetime opportunity to hunt the last remaining humans, Gene’s carefully constructed life begins to crumble around him.  He’s thrust into the path of a girl who makes him feel things he never thought possible—and into a ruthless pack of hunters whose suspicions about his true nature are growing. Now that Gene has finally found something worth fighting for, his need to survive is stronger than ever—but is it worth the cost of his humanity?

The Review: I’m honestly not sure where to start with this review, because The Hunt was one of those books that once I started, I couldn't stop reading, but overall I really didn’t enjoy it. While the book is suppose to be on par with The Hunger Games, I would have to disagree. The storyline does have similar traits but the only thing I felt the author did the same, was create the same back story without that wow factor The Hunger Games leaves you with. 
<
Fukuda has definitely created something very unique with the vampire’s, which is something fresh, new and well – very freaky. But for the most part I was really creeped out by them. They have unique and weird habits that really left me a bit disturbed. They scratch their wrists instead of laughing, have drool constantly dripping from their mouths, and have armpit/elbow sex (which I can’t even figure out how that works? LOL) and that’s only a few things that made me cringe. But while you’re probably thinking these things really aren’t that bad, for me they are because there the first of many other problems I have with this book. 
<
The second thing is I felt the story wasn’t explained enough. You’re thrown into Gene’s life and watch how he has to struggle being apart of this world and pretending to be a vampire but there isn’t a why. Why would he want to pretend and constantly watch his back? Why would he want to become friends with them? And why would he have feelings for one of them that could, at anytime, rip his throat out? It didn’t make sense to me. I really didn’t connect with Gene. This is because the story is told from his point of view and I never really connect with male characters as much as females, and while I thought Gene is a good character to look up to, I just don’t understand his reasoning for the things he does. If that was me, I would have given up a long, long time ago, but that’s not it – there are other questions popping up from the story like, how do the vampires procreate? How do the vampires not notice that Gene is human, if they have intense supernatural senses?  I could go on and on because I felt like there were too many flaws in the plot and I really couldn’t overlook them. Maybe I'm over thinking the story to much but there were just to many loose ends for me to enjoy this book.
<
Overall, The Hunt didn’t wow me, but I can see why so many people liked it so even though it’s not for me, give this book a try and see what you think for yourself.  
<
A huge thank you to Simon & Schuster UK for giving me the opportunity to review this book. 

12 comments:

TotallyBookalicious said...

Oh no this makes me nervous. Im waiting for BD to delivered my copy. I am looking forward it. I like a book that creeps me out haha I am weird though lol

Sorry you didnt really like it. 

Andrea Modolo said...

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like this one. I'm one who loves creepy books! But I'm disappointed to hear that nothing is really explained as to why it is happening. I'm interested to read this one to see what Andrew Fukada does with this story. 

StephLikesBooks said...

Aw, it's sad that you didn't like it that much! I've just started and I think it's brill, it's definitely keeping me reading. However, like you, I'm a bit curious as to why he's doing it all? Plus, how they don't realise he's not like them.. And, armpit/elbow sex? haha! I don't even want to know! 

annabelle.hammond said...

Such a shame! i was looking forward to reading this!

Tara said...

This is one of those books I've heard really mixed reviews for - I guess I'll have to try it sometime and see if I like it! 

The whole sex thing does sound a little bit odd though!

Caroline Taylor078 said...

I must admit I'd probably check this book out for the cover alone, I'm seeing it pop up on so many blogs, maybe I'll wait until it gets reduced.

Jacqui Turner said...

Oooh now I was looking to get this.  Might give it a miss then.  I love the thrill but if there's nothing in it, I won't bother.

nat cleary said...

Oh no. I recently got it and even though there have been a few bad reviews, I still cant wait to read it. Its intriguing!!

Alyssa_Susanna said...

I've been attempting to read this book for weeks now... I think I've made it to chapter like 5? After everyone gets rounded up after the lottery thingy? Well. I just can't read it, so I decided to look up a review. You seem to not like exactly what I've been so skeptical about for the entire part that I've read. I'm so weirded out at times that I don't want read it. So, I'm not going to finish this book. That's hard for me, because I rarely start a book and not finish, but I can't do it with this one. It's too bad. Thanks for the review!!!!

Alyssa Susanna

Anonymous said...

My name is Karina, I'm someone who has lived a life seemingly in the background, I must say this final indignity I have suffered almost too much to endure. You see, I have been sickly and weak since the day I was born and doomed to go through all my life a weakling. I seemed to have always suffered from one illness or another and could never play with the other children as I so desperately wanted to. Mother always made such a big fuss over me, also, making the situation worse as the other boys teased me mercilessly after they saw it. I was browsing  the internet searching on how i could be transformed into a powerful when i came across the email of a man named Lord Mark. who was a VAMPIRE so I told him that I has always dreamed of becoming a  VAMPIRES, All i did was just to follow the procedure that i was been told, and i bet you that procedure I took change my entire life to something i ever desire, freedom, sickness free, pains free, fame, influence, connections and even more that i can. Thanks to Lord Mark. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

Unknown said...

replica zara bags best replica bags online 2018 replica bags wholesale hong kong

Unknown said...

this contact formmore helpful hints navigate to this websitehis comment is here navigate to this websitehop over to here

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis