Pages

Thursday 17 May 2012

A Review for Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Of PoseidonPosted by Donna
Expected Release Date: May 22nd, 2012
Finished Date: 
Publishers: Feiwel and Friends
Source: ARC For Review
Format: eGalley - Kindle
Pages: 336
Buy : Amazon UK / Amazon US / The Book Depo

Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he’s heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. 
When she runs into Galen—literally, ouch!—both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma’s gifts.
.
Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . . 
.
Told from both Emma and Galen’s points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.

The Review: Tera Lynn Child was the first author to convince me that mermaid booka were awesome and now Anna Banks has convinced me that there really should be more mermaid books because Of Poseidon was a fantastic read and it really didn’t disappoint! 
<
Even though I adore YA Paranormal books, lately I’m finding them slightly predictable. Now Of Poseidon is a prime example of UNPREDICTABLE! Why? Because this story is told from both girl and boy’s point of view and you don’t find this often enough in YA Paranormal books. Because of this, it changed the normal route of the book, giving you both points of view and giving you a lot of information up front, rather than waiting until the end to find out all the good stuff, and I have to say I loved it! Anna Banks did a fantastic job of mixing both human and mermaid points of view and not once did I feel overwhelmed. But not only that but even though you knew what was happening from both sides of the story, the book was still full of mystery and the ending was very unpredictable. I have to say, I didn't even see it coming.
<
What I enjoyed about this book the most were the characters. Both Emma and Galen were easy to like and I loved how easy it was to step into their heads. Not only that their relationship is fiery, full of humour and intense and even the secondary characters have a fantastic and fun relationship. It was really refreshing to read about. 
<
The story itself was exciting, thrilling and fresh. From page one I was captivated until the very last page and honestly, I’d highly recommend this book to anyone. Overall, a fantastic and fascinating read and I can’t wait for more.

18 comments:

Melanie H said...

I totally agree - I loved it too :)

Tara said...

I'm so looking forward to this one - I've heard so many good things, and the link with mythology really appeals to me!  Great review!

nat cleary said...

Great review!!! I need to get this when it comes out :)

DonnasReviews said...

Mel - I'm glad you did too. I've seen a few bad reviews on it and I'm like "WHAT?" LOL. 

Carly @ Fiction Fascination said...

Great review Donna :) I think I will have to pick this one up too. I completely agree with you about YA books becoming too predictable. I love mermaids so I am hoping I will love this one as much as you :)

Melanie H said...

: O I thought it was great and gave it 5*s, It's the first time i've read anything about that topic and I loved it. I saw the ending coming a mile off though ;)

Danny Bookworm said...

I loved this book so sooo much!! It was all I want in a good story, strong characters, funny and snarky moments and a guy to swoon over!! Oh Galen .. 

Miss Cass said...

Mermaid books make me nervous. I just never find them enchanting enough, I find the love interests shallow and contrived, possessive and just not for me. This has received lots of good feedback, so I suppose I'll eventually pick this up. Thanks for the review! I'm glad you found it unique and fresh!

Book Angel Emma said...

Oh ohy oh totally want this one totally possibly NEED it in my life :D 

Jasprit @ The Readers Den said...

Fab review Donna, I've been reading mixed reviews for this, but still wanted to pick it up! I still have to read a mermaid book yet so I think I will check this out! :)

Abibliophobic said...

Awesome review :) I'm always super weary of mermaid books too. I read Lies Beneath and I really didn't enjoy it much, but I think I would really like this story a lot!

Donna Rushton said...

You should try this one hun - it's really good. I'm reading Lies Beneath now and I like it so far but if you're looking for another Mermaid story then you should try Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs. It's such a cute fun read =) 

Suzanne @ Paranormal Book Fan said...

I've just read a review that totally turned me off this....And now your review leaves me wanting it again. I normally don't go for mermaids but the best thing is for me to just read it and make up my own mind :) Thanks for a great review 

Mel @thedailyprophecy said...

Before your review, I never knew that this story was told from two POV's! And that really got my attention, since I love that :D Thanks for the review and I really can't wait to get this one in my hands.

Carina said...

I'm sooo happy you liked it, too, hun! I just finished it a few hours ago and am dying to get my hands on book #2. :D I need more Galen! More Toraf! More everything! (Sorry for freaking out, but it just needs to get out! ^^)

Elodie RASO said...

I've never read a mermaid book though I really want to .. Of Poseidon sounds awesome  !! I've heard tons of positive things about Galen :)

Alyssa_Susanna said...

I really liked this book!!!! I don't know where those people who think this book was horrible are from, because in my opinion, it deserved like 3 stars or up (DEFINITELY up). I think I gave it four or four and a half.  I love Galen, but not just because he's hot and nice and whatever. All of those things are great. But, he's a more likable character than Emma (love the names by the way!). I found Emma  a little distasteful sometimes (NOT often). I can't wait to read the next book(s)!!!! Thanks for the review!!!!

Alyssa Susanna :)

Lisa 'Li-li' Harwood said...

Great review. I've wanted to read this book for a while, due to great reviews and a great synopsis, and this review has made me want to read it more

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis