Pages

Thursday 31 May 2012

A Review for The Selection (The Selection #1) by Kiera Cass

The Selection
Posted by Donna
Release Date: June 7th, 2012
Finished Date: May 27th, 2012
Publishers: HarperCollins UK
Source: For Review
Format: Paperback
Pages: 327
Buy : Amazon UK / Amazon US / The Book Depo

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

<
The Review: The Selection is an intriguing, beautiful and charming novel – one that honestly, really surprised me. Kiera Cass captivated me from start to finish with her exciting and lovable story and I loved every single minute of it.
<
America Singer lives in a world where everything is ranked by numbers. With her and her family being a five, they struggle sometimes when it comes to providing food and have to work for a living. So when the opportunity to become the next future Queen arises, America’s family are quick to suggest she try out. America is luckily picked and is now amongst thirty-five girls who have been selected to try and win Prince Maxon’s heart. But how can America try to win the Prince’s heart when her heart belongs to Aspen; a six, who she can never have a future with, because of his low ranking? And when America meets Prince Maxon, he isn’t what she expected and soon starts to fall for him.
<
The Selection – wow, where do I even start with this review, yeah – I loved it! It’s full of magical and lovable scenes that really make you want to keep reading. I was expecting a complicated world because generally, with dystopian books they tend to have a lot of details, but the author did a great job giving you the right amount of information at the right time and not once, did I feel overwhelmed.
<
I loved the whole story in general. I have never watched the Bachelor – which I know this book is being compared too, so for me, it was a whole new world and it really worked well within the story. But not only that but I feel that this book has so much more to offer than just any old book. It’s full of hope, love and drama and it’s even pretty heart-breaking at times too, because of what the characters go through. America, is a really likeable girl, she’s stubborn, fiery and honest. You really feel for her when things don’t work out with Aspen but then of course, Prince Maxon comes into the picture – who by the way, I’m totally rooting for. He opens her up to a world she never thought she could ever experience and I just absolutely adore him. He’s everything you want from a guy and he’s sweet and loyal. So yes I am Team Maxon! And that ending – wow, I still can’t decide if I loved or hated it…but I’m thinking I’m leaning towards loved! I do wish the book was longer because I would have loved to see the outcome of the Selection but I think the author did the right thing ending it were it did. I can see big things happening for book two because of the selection, the love triangle and the attacks on the palace and I’m very eager to find out where the story goes next.
<
Now as I said before, this book really surprised me and the reason for that is because of the drama surrounding the author, her publicist and a reviewer. Now I don’t like to get involved with things like this but I couldn’t help notice the drama and honestly, it really did put me off reading this book. The only reason I picked it up was because of the ever so wonderful HarperCollins UK offered me a review copy and as you can see, I’m so, so glad I read it. So, I urge reader’s who – like me have been put of from reading this book, to read it and I promise you won’t be disappointed.
<
Overall, The Selection was a fantastic novel and one I’d highly recommend. Kiera Cass has convinced me she deserves a place in the YA community and I cannot wait to see more work from her.
<
A huge thank you HarperCollins UK for giving me the opportunity to review this book. 

16 comments:

Megan Williams said...

Great review! I would honestly read this book purely because of the cover... it's so gorgeous!! I've read some mixed opinions on it but I'm so glad you enjoyed it :)

Heyxtara said...

I've heard really mixed opinions on this book - really glad you enjoyed it!  I can definitely see myself picking this one up in the future, if nothing else because the cover is gorgeous!  Great review!

Alice Priday said...

i loved this book too!!! it was simply amazing and captivated me from the start :)  so glad you loved it too 

Annabelle Marie said...

Wow...I'm so happy that you enjoyed this one. Unfortunately, I will never read this one, not even from the library, due to the author and various reviewers behaving badly. I'm so thrilled for people who love this book and wish I could share the joy! But I have to stick by my principles.

Carly Chambers said...

Fabulous review, Donna :) The whole drama surrounding this book was really hard not to notice but I still will be picking it up and giving it a go in the near future.  :)

Jessica said...

I'm so excited to read this one sounds right up my street, glad to hear you loved it!

BeverleyH said...

Glad you enjoyed it!  Like Megan, the gorgeous cover is enough to persuade me to read it! (Am I shallow?) I love the premise of the book and it sounds so intriguing and since you were so captivated by it, I've been encouraged to give it a try over summer!

Beverley @ A Reading Daydreamer

nat cleary said...

Great review!! While I know that there was a lot of negativity surrounding the author etc, I still cant wait to read the book!! So glad you enjoyed it :)

Danny Bookworm said...

So happy you liked it!!!!! I also loved this Cinderella Dystopian Story. I found it a very refreshing mix since normally Dystopians are a little darker! 

kimba88 said...

Awesome review i really enjoyed this novel despite what a light dystopian feel it had..to me it felt like a Cinderella re-telling..and i am looking forward to the next book. never let drama stop you from reading a book..think of all the books people want to ban..that wouldn't be read if we listened to drama! 

YearningtoRead said...

Great review!  I'm getting this from the library on Saturday...hopefully I'll be able to start it soon!  I've never watched the Bachelor either so it will all be new!  It seems like a fun, dramatic book that may or may not be full of surprises ;)

Thanks for reviewing!  So glad you loved it!

Sierra @ Yearning to Read
www.yearningtoread.blogspot.com

Erin W. said...

Great review! I've been on the fence whether to read this book or not since there's been a lot of mixed opinions over it, but I'll still give it ago. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Elodie RASO said...

Glad you loved this one Donna .. I've never watched The Bachelor either so I'd be really interested in the concept of The Selection ! The cover looks gorgeous and I'm really hoping there will be a tv show adaptation !! Lovely review ! 

Rebecca (Kindle Fever) said...

I know there's a lot of mixed opinions circulating about this one, but I'm soo agreeing with you! I was a bit afraid when picking it up myself because of it, but was too very pleasantly surprised! So YAY on liking it. :D I love your review and definitely agree with almost everything!

LiteraryExploration said...

I was wary about picking this book up after the whole editor debacle, but I finally did and I really enjoyed it!!! I'm glad I didn't let that lead me away from reading it... Great review, I totally enjoyed it!!









Anna @ Literary Exploration

Yvonne Leacy said...

I just picked this book up last week and am looking forward to reading it now. Great review :) Although I feel like I'm the only one who didn't know about all the drama :/

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis