Pages

Monday 13 August 2012

A Review for Eve (Eve #1) by Anna Carey

Eve (Eve, #1)Posted by Donna
Release Date: October 4th, 2011
Finished Date: August 11th, 2012
Publishers: HarperCollins 
Source: For Review
Format: Kindle
Pages: 318
Buy : Amazon UK / Amazon US / The Book Depo

Where do you go when nowhere is safe?
Sixteen years after a deadly virus wiped out most of Earth's population, the world is a perilous place. Eighteen-year-old Eve has never been beyond the heavily guarded perimeter of her school, where she and two hundred other orphaned girls have been promised a future as the teachers and artists of the New America. But the night before graduation, Eve learns the shocking truth about her school's real purpose--and the horrifying fate that awaits her.
Fleeing the only home she's ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Arden, her former rival from school, and Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust . . . and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.
In this epic new series, Anna Carey imagines a future that is both beautiful and terrifying. Readers will revel in "Eve"'s timeless story of forbidden love and extraordinary adventure.

The Review: Before I start this review, I have a confession to make. I've had this book on my kindle - which I got for review from NetGalley over 13 months ago! I know, terrible isn't it! I don't know what was wrong with me but, even though I wanted to read it, I was just never in the mood. But now, as you can see, I was in the mood and you know what? I'm absolutely kicking myself for not reading this book sooner because it was a fantastic read! 

It's the year 2032 and the people that survived the plague sixteen years ago are still trying to rebuild lives for themselves. But it's very hard when the King want's the world run his way and his way only. Eve, an eighteen-year-old school girl has been promised a successful future when she finishes school but only to have her dream snatched away from her at the last minute, when she finds out that, producing children so the world can get their population numbers back up awaits for her. Eve knows she doesn't want that future, so she flees into the dangerous wild. She has to go against everything she's ever been taught and face the dangerous and daunting world on her own...and all the while being chased by the King, who wants her for his own purposes. 

I'm so, so surprised by the poor ratings for this book and I can't help think did I read the same book as everyone else? Eve was a dangerous adventure - one full of heart-breaking times and it was an emotional rollercoaster. I thought it was a great start to a very promising series and author Anna Carey did a fantastic job giving us vivid and harsh world. I for one wouldn't want to live in these times. Boys and girl's free will is taken away from them and it's just a sad situation for them.

I loved Eve. I thought she was brave and smart and I loved how she was so willing to defend the people that she cared about, even when they weren't that nice to her. She has a heart of gold and she see's the good in people. She's been taught to fear men all her life but she see's Caleb for who is really is. I loved their relationship. It was a slow process but it just gave me that excitement from the build up between them. Caleb and Eve have very similar personalities and I feel this is why they connect so much. 


“You can love anyone. Love is just caring about someone very deeply. Feeling like that person matters to you, like your whole world would be sadder without them in it.”- Eve

Now the ending...what a killer! The only good things about not reading this book 13 months ago was the fact that I have Once - book two in the series, ready and waiting for me. And I urge people not to judge this book by it's ratings - I for one really enjoyed it and I'm sure you will too.

A big thank you to HarperCollins and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to review this book. 

10 comments:

Mist_BookaholicsBookClub said...

I enjoyed this book, I just didn't love it, I do have book two and am planning to read it in September, yay! Lol

Gina Marie said...

I've had this one sitting on my floor all summer, wondering if I should read it or not.  I have less than a week before I go back to college.  Yes, I am racing up to my room as soon as I am done writing this comment to go devour Eve!  Thank you so much!  Loved your review!

http://thebucketlist-gn.blogspot.com

Carina said...

I really need to get to this one soon as well. When I got that one from NetGalley I hadn't had a Kindle yet and therefore my eGalley expired. :( But I bought a paperback copy of it and really should be reading it as soon as possible - even more after reading your lovely review now my dear. :)

Emma Gray said...

Hi, I'm a new blogger and a friend recommended me your blog. Wow! That sounds like an amazing book this will be definitely added to my TBR list! Great Review! :)

Realm of Fiction said...

I'm glad you finally read this! I really enjoyed this book too so it's great to see you liked it. Lovely review, Donna! :)

rogier said...

Lovely review, Donna! i loved eve and reading once soon

Erin W. said...

I was supposed to read this ages ago, although I've been a bit hesitant to pick it up since I've come across a lot mixed reviews. But I'm glad you enjoyed it. Great review!

Suzanne @ Paranormal Book Fan said...

Glad you enjoyed this one, it does sound really good. I have it on my TBR but completely forgot about it. I'm always surprised how different peoples reactions can be to the same book. Great review Donna :)

CCAM said...

Don't be so happy you don't have to wait for book #2. You'll cry after
book#3 even more. The ending of Once it's terrible and only if for this,
it deserve to be read. Enjoy Once (evil smile)!

Mel @thedailyprophecy said...

I also really liked this book! There were some minor things that bugged me, but I could totally over look those things; because the overall story is amazing. Great review :)

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis