Pages

Saturday 13 July 2013

A Review for The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger

The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat FriendPosted by Donna
Release Date: September 7th, 2010
Finished Date: July 2nd, 2013
Publishers: Poppy
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 280
Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "the Duff," she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren't so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone. And eventually, through this realization, Bianca begins to see how harmful her unhealthy way of dealing with her problems has been, and finds a way to confront them head on.

The Review: “No matter where you go or what you do to distract yourself, reality catches up with you eventually.”

Plain and simple I loved The DUFF! I can't believe I put off reading this book for so long. It is just pure amazing!

The story follows Bianca, a seventeen-year-old girl who gets labelled The DUFF; Designated Ugly Fat Friend by one of the most popular and hottest boys at school - Wesley. Bianca is very opinionated around Wesley and doesn't hold back on telling him what she really thinks, however when her family life starts to get a little crazy, Bianca finds a kind of peace around Wesley when she finds that he's really easy to talk too. Can Bianca find something more in Wesley or are they forever fated to be enemies?

This was just the type of book I needed last week - something easy to read but completely addictive. It's brutally honest and very realistic about teenage life - you don't find many books that many readers will be able to relate to but that's what The DUFF is. I believe many readers will know exactly what Bianca is going through and how they will do anything to just find some peace in all the craziness. 

I loved Bianca and Wesley together - I mean who wouldn't? Wesley does come across as a jerk to start with, and it's so much fun watching Bianca put that boy in his place. They banter back and forth, which makes the story very humorous but, underneath all that humour there's the beauty of a strong relationship being formed. I loved every single minute these too spent together, it's was honest, real and beautiful. 

In all, The DUFF was one surprisingly beautiful read and one I absolutely adored! Well done Kody Keplinger! 

Favourite Quotes: 
“Your sense of humor needs some work, then," Wesley suggested. "Most girls find my jokes charming." 
"Those girls must have IQs low enough to trip over.” Bianca & Wesley 

“I don't like him," I explained. "He annoys the hell out of me ninety-six percent of the time, and sometimes I'd like nothing better than to strangle him to death. But at the same time I... I want him to be happy. I think about him way more than I should, and I -"
"You love him.” - Bianca 

1 comment:

Danny Bookworm said...

OoOO how much I LOVED The DUFF - and it totally took me by surprise by how much I loved this book! It was funny and insightful. Ever since I am a big fan of Kody Keplinger.

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis